Octopus maya

Octopus maya

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
SPECIES
Octopus maya

Octopus maya, known colloquially as the Mexican four-eyed octopus, is a shallow water octopus that can be found in the tropical Western Atlantic Ocean. It is common to sea grass prairies and coral formations. The species was initially discovered in an octopus fishery in Campeche Mexico, where its close external resemblance to Octopus vulgaris led to its mistaken grouping with the other species. O. maya makes up 80% of octopus catch in the Yucatán Peninsula, while O. vulgaris makes up the remaining 20%. Octopus maya can be identified by its large, double-ringed ocellus and large egg size . The mantle is muscular, large, and oval in shape. There is some variation in the definite shape of the posterior end of the mantle, but all are fairly narrow and meet the head at a characteristically narrow neck. Females grow to be larger than males, weighing in at 1024g with mantles measuring 124mm. Males grow to be about 484g with mantles 91mm long. They are usually dark brown in color but may turn red when agitated. They are also able to mimic the color of the sand on the seafloor. The ocellus is a dark red brown and found directly beneath the eye between the second and third arm. It has been found in depths between 3 and 25m along the continental shelf of the Yucatán Peninsula.

This is a part of the Wikipedia article used under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA).

Geography

Continents
Countries
Regions
Biogeographical Realms

References

1. Octopus maya Wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_maya
2. Octopus maya on The IUCN Red List site - https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/163006/963299

More Fascinating Animals to Learn About